The GDAL/OGR project team is pleased to announce the release of
GDAL/OGR 1.6.0. This release represents 11 months of new feature
development since the GDAL/OGR 1.5.0 release, as well as many bug
fixes. The release source code is available as described at:
The new release includes the following feature highlights, with detailed
information on changes at:
New Raster Drivers:
* BLX Magellan Topo Driver (New)
* EIR Erdas Imagine Raw Driver (New)
* Oracle GeoRaster Driver (New)
* GRIB Driver (now part of standard distribution)
* LCP (FARSITE) Driver (New)
* Terralib driver (New)
New Vector Drivers:
* Geoconcept Export Driver (New)
* INGRES RDBMS Driver (New)
* XPlane/Flightgear Driver (New)
* RFC 20: Preliminary support for alternate axis orientations in SRS.
* On the fly access to data in .zip and .gz compressed files.
* RFC 22: Support for reading from, and warping with RPC (Rational Polynomial Coefficients) from various formats.
* Gaussian and Mode resampling added for overview generation.
* Added raster to vector (polygon) conversion utility.
* Added raster proximity utility.
* Added raster sieve filtering utility.
* Added -expand rgb/rgba ability to gdal_translate
* Added cutline / blend support to gdalwarp.
* Added -segmentize option to ogr2ogr to break long line segments.
* RFC 23: Preliminary support for character set transcoding (in OGR for now).
* RFC 21: OGR SQL supports type casting and field name aliasing