In an early experimented in cross-project collaboration GeoTools, OpenJUMP and deegree setup org.opengis interfaces as part of a “geoapi-pending” project. While this initial work was funded by the OGC as part of an interoperability “testbed” the activity was later abandoned. Indeed OpenJUMP and degree did not find time to participate, leaving GeoTools to adopt these interfaces as the gt-opengis module.
Many, many years later the OGC GeoAPI Implementation Specification was resumed, and now requires exclusive use of the org.opengis Java package.
This activity requires your participation and support:
- Sponsor this initiative via Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- This activity is already partially funded as a priority for OSGeo 2023 Budget
- Refactor the use of org.opengis interfaces in the GeoTools project
- Remove unused interfaces, such as Geometry, that have not attracted sufficient sustained investment.
- Rollback design changes made to GeoTools to facilitate adoption of GeoAPI interfaces.
- Provide downstream projects with a migration script to minimize disruption.
- 2023 April: Open Standards and Open Source Software Code Sprint: initiatve promotion
- 2023 June: FOSS4G Code Sprint: Design and Planning
- 2023 August: Bolsena Code Sprint: GeoTools Refactor and API Change
- 2023 September: GeoTools 30.0: Public release of API Change
- 2023 Q4: Last Friday of the month drop-in sprint to assist downstream projects with migration
Cross-project initiative with a range of projects affected: