For projects being donated to the foundation, or for corporations wishing to contribute directly to foundation projects, contribution license is available.
- GeoServer project was donated to the foundation using this license, and requires corporate contributors to use this license
- GeoTools project requires individual contributors to use this license
- GeoWebCache was donated to the foundation using this license
- GeoNode was donated to the foundation using this license
Signed software grant and corporate contributor license agreements are maintained in a private repository by the OSGeo Secretary, for more information see Licenses.
For legal context this license is directly derived from the Apache contribution license CCLA v r190612.
The Open Source Geospatial Foundation
Software Grant and Corporate Contributor License Agreement (“Agreement”) V1.0
Thank you for your interest in The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (the “Foundation”). In order to clarify the intellectual property license granted with Contributions from any person or entity, the Foundation must have a Contributor License Agreement (CLA) on file that has been signed by each Contributor, indicating agreement to the license terms below. This license is for your protection as a Contributor as well as the protection of the Foundation and its users; it does not change your rights to use your own Contributions for any other purpose.
This version of the Agreement allows an entity (the “Corporation”) to submit Contributions to the Foundation, to authorize Contributions submitted by its designated employees to the Foundation, and to grant copyright and patent licenses thereto.
If you have not already done so, please complete and sign, then scan and email a pdf file of this Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send an original signed signed Agreement to:
Attn: Contributor Agreements The Open Source Geospatial Foundation 14525 SW Millikan #42523 Beaverton, Oregon, United States 97005 2343
Please read this document carefully before signing and keep a copy for your records.
Corporation name: ________________________________________________ Corporation address: ________________________________________________ ________________________________________________ ________________________________________________ Point of Contact: E-Mail: Telephone: ________________________________________________ ________________________________________________ _____________________ Fax: _____________________
You accept and agree to the following terms and conditions for Your present and future Contributions submitted to the Foundation. In
return, the Foundation shall not use Your Contributions in a way that is contrary to the public benefit or inconsistent with its nonprofit status and bylaws in effect at the time of the Contribution. Except for the license granted herein to the Foundation and recipients of software distributed by the Foundation, You reserve all right, title, and interest in and to Your Contributions.
“You” (or “Your”) shall mean the copyright owner or legal entity authorized by the copyright owner that is making this Agreement
with the Foundation. For legal entities, the entity making a Contribution and all other entities that control, are controlled by,
or are under common control with that entity are considered to be a single Contributor. For the purposes of this definition, “control”
means (i) the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or (ii) ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the outstanding shares, or (iii) beneficial ownership of such entity.
“Contribution” shall mean the code, documentation or other original works of authorship expressly identified in Schedule B, as well as
any original work of authorship, including any modifications or additions to an existing work, that is intentionally submitted by You to the Foundation for inclusion in, or documentation of, any of the products owned or managed by the Foundation (the “Work”). For the purposes of this definition, “submitted” means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to the Foundation or its representatives, including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Foundation for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by You as “Not a Contribution.”
2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative works.
3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work, where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable by You that are necessarily infringed by Your Contribution(s)
alone or by combination of Your Contribution(s) with the Work to which such Contribution(s) were submitted. If any entity institutes
patent litigation against You or any other entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that your
Contribution, or the Work to which you have contributed, constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then any patent licenses granted to that entity under this Agreement for that Contribution or Work shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.
4. You represent that You are legally entitled to grant the above license. You represent further that each employee of the
Corporation designated on Schedule A below (or in a subsequent written modification to that Schedule) is authorized to submit Contributions on behalf of the Corporation.
5. You represent that each of Your Contributions is Your original creation (see section 7 for submissions on behalf of others).
6. You are not expected to provide support for Your Contributions, except to the extent You desire to provide support. You may provide
support for free, for a fee, or not at all. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, You provide Your Contributions on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
7. Should You wish to submit work that is not Your original creation, You may submit it to the Foundation separately from any
Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of any license or other restriction (including, but not limited
to, related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as “Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here]”.
8. It is your responsibility to notify the Foundation when any change is required to the list of designated employees authorized to submit Contributions on behalf of the Corporation, or to the Corporation’s Point of Contact with the Foundation.
Please sign: __________________________________ Date: _______________ Title: __________________________________ Corporation: __________________________________
[Initial list of designated employees. NB: authorization is not
tied to particular Contributions.]
[Identification of optional concurrent software grant. Would be
left blank or omitted if there is no concurrent software grant.]